{4F805597-AC32-42F4-9EE2-BAD88CE3B8B2} Changing Status From Tourist To Oleh
Search Advanced
Home About Us Making History Connecting to Israel Doing Jewish Donate Now Contact Us 
You are here :   Aliyah & Absorption Contact Your Shaliach Global Service Center Changing Status From Tourist To Oleh
Contact Your Shaliach
Global Service Center

Changing Status From Tourist To Oleh

The Jewish Agency’s Global Center in cooperation with the Ministry of Interior now offers a VIP service for changing status in Israel from tourist to Oleh (immigrant).

The service is available to anyone who does not have an Israeli background. In other words, returning Israeli citizens (including the child of an Israeli citizen) will have to approach the Ministry of the Interior directly.

If you are in Israel on a tourist visa, work permit or any other temporary status and you decide that you would like to remain in the country and become a new oleh, then the following procedure will help make this dream a reality.

Step by Step Procedure

  1. Call the Global Center – 1 800 228 055 – or fill in the Aliyah request form online and we will get back to you.

    Languages spoken at the Global Center include: English, French, Spanish, Russian, German, Dutch, Portuguese, Hebrew, Amharic.

  2. Download and fill out the following forms. Only the second form (Israeli ID) needs to be filled out in Hebrew. The other forms can be filled out in either Hebrew or English. The name of the form is linked to the Hebrew document followed by an English translation link. For further assistance, contact your ASC representative.

  3. In addition, the following original documents are required:
    • Proof of “Judaism” (Jewish heritage). 
    • Three (3) passport photos.
    • Copies of your passport – first page and page with your last entry visa into Israel.
    • Birth certificate with Apostille
    • Marriage/Divorce certificate, if applicable, with Apostille*
    • Criminal clearance certificate/document of good standing with Apostille*  from your local police department in your country of origin (no Israeli ID will be issued without this document). Note: A family member with your Power of Attorney in your home country can do this for you.

      Please note: If your last country of residence is different from your country of origin and you lived there for more than one year, the Ministry of the Interior’s representative might ask to present a police clearance certificate from both countries.

      Copies of all documents and forms can be sent by e-mail, fax or post, or you can bring them to the Global Center. Original documents and forms must be presented at your meeting with the representative of the Ministry of the Interior.

  4. After sending the forms, please call the Global Center in order to schedule your interview.

  5. A personal meeting with a Ministry of Interior and Jewish Agency representatives.

  6. Receiving your Teudat Zehut (Israeli ID): Once the above procedure is completed, you will receive your Teudat Zehut at a special ceremony with other olim chadashim (new immigrants).

Looking forward to making your dream a reality.

Read about people who already did it!

An Apostille is a seal applied to a document to confirm authenticity. It can only be issued by acompetent authority in the country of origin. This document is then recognized internationally as valid. Documents issued in countries that are not a party to the Hague Convention require legalization by the country of issue and the Israeli Consulate in that country. The Interior Ministry of the State of Israel requires an Apostille on documents issued after September 1, 1988.

Birth certificates do not require Apostille certification if the same name appears on the birth certificate and the passport and both documents were issued by the same country. When a name has been changed due to marriage, Apostille certification on the birth certificate is not required if a marriage certificate indicating the change is presented. The marriage certificate will need Apostille certification if issued on or after September 1, 1988. Click here for example.

Personal Documents Authentication in Canada (signatures)
There is no Apostille agreement between Canada and Israel, therefore all is there to do is to bring/send documents to the Israel Consulate for Signature. It costs CAN$12 per document, either cash or Money Order payable to Consulate General of Israel is acceptable.

Both Consulates in Canada provide service ONLY to Canadian residents and therefore there is no mailing service available outside of Canada. In case where a person lives outside of Canada and needs to authenticate Canadian documents it’s advisable to send them to a family member or a friend in Canada and ask them to approach the Consulate on their behalf. For more information please visit the following web sites: www.toronto.mfa.gov.il; www.montreal.mfa.gov.il.

The Global Center
22 hours per day, 6 days per week (except Shabbat)
Tel: 1-800-228-055
Email: gci-en@jafi.org 



Send to A Friend
Back to Top
Friday 06 March, 2015 (c) All rights reserved to the Jewish Agency יום שישי ט"ו אדר תשע"ה